Sunday, January 27, 2008

City may have to sell Richards


Manchester City are agonising over whether to cash in on England starlet Micah Richards or break their pay scale to keep him for an extra two years. And, with Richards reportedly asking for £75,000 a week, the odds are on him being the subject of a bidding war between the country's top clubs in the summer.

Richards, 19, is one of the most marketable young players in the country. And while City would like to hang on to him, club officials believe they could demand £15 million for him in the summer, confident that manager Sven-Goran Eriksson could then bring in an experienced replacement for less than half that amount.

Micah Richards: his pay demands may be too much for Man City
Richards was quoted in yesterday's Manchester Evening News saying: "It is frustrating to hear people talk about my new contract at City and make out that the reason I haven't signed yet is because I am being greedy when they don't know the facts. I have still got two-and-a-half years left on my current deal - it is not as though I am in my last year or six months - and things don't happen overnight."

No comments: